Fall is here and it’s the perfect time to get your house in shape for the cooler months ahead. Autumn can be a busy season for homeowners but, it’s also the best time to take advantage of the moderate weather to repair any damages before the first frost sets in. Here is the Jones Real Estate Group’s Fall Maintenance Checklist to help you make sure your home is running in peak condition all winter long!
The Valero Open is quickly approaching and J-Jireh Ministries is looking for your support in two of their endeavors with this event.
DASH TO THE VTO
Saturday, April 14 at 9 a.m.
Lace up your sneakers for the 5K run/walk. Children 14 & younger can enjoy a 1 mile fun run/walk. It’s your chance to get a sneak peek at TPC San Antonio before the PGA TOUR competes in the Valero Texas Open while running the actual cart path. Families, serious runners, babies in strollers… everyone is welcome! The more, the merrier!!
o Entry fee includes race shirt, chipped bib, and ticket to the Valero Texas Open!
§ 5 K – $25 thru Jan. 31; $35 thru April 13; $45 on Race Day
§ 1 Mile – $10
• Participants can select the charity/school they are wanting to support. Here is your chance to help us spread the word and possibly earn an additional donation. Based on participation – the charity that has the highest number of registrants that participate will earn a $3,000 donation.
§ 1st Place on # of Participants – $3,000 donation prize
§ 2nd Place receives $1,500 donation prize
§ 3rd Place receives $500 donation prize
To Sign up for this event click HERE!
Donate to J-Jireh Ministries thru Birdies for Charity
CLICK on the image below and you will be redirected to the Valero Open’s Birdies for Charity Website where you can make your donation to J-Jireh Ministries. Don’t miss your chance to WIN a 2 year lease on a Ford Mustang!
The Jones Real Estate Group is back at it again this year working with J-Jireh Ministries and The Christmas From the Heart Program. We would love to have your help to reach our goal of 4000 Christmas Shoebox Gifts this year!
These gifts are delivered to over 50 childrens’ shelters and organizations in and around the San Antonio Area. The Christmas From the Heart program is only one of the many programs that J-Jireh Ministries participates in to give back to children in need in the area and around San Antonio. J-Jireh Ministries also participates in The Local Hero School Program, Computers with a Purpose, Anti-Graffiti Murals, The Fountain of Life Clean Water Program and Coming Soon, The Open Arms Children’s Shelter! All of these awesome programs work to give these less fortunate children a better life.
Ways You Can Help
As you donate to the Christmas From the Heart Program, you provide these children a personal Christmas gift and help share what the true meaning of Christmas is. There are multiple ways to contribute to this cause. You can donate small Christmas gifts for either a boy or girl that will fit in a shoebox, empty shoeboxes or plastic shoeboxes to fill & wrap and supplies to wrap the shoeboxes like Christmas wrapping paper, tape and scissors. All of these donations are so valuable and important for us to reach our goal.
If you would like more information about other ways you can help with The Christmas From The Heart Program please contact Greg Jones at (210) 389-1282 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
🍁 The weather might be cooler, but that doesn’t mean the fun has to stop!
One of the best things about living in San Antonio is the variety of activities available in every season! Looking for something fun to do this month? Check out these community events happening this month!
November 3-12: Wurstfest
During this 10-day salute to sausage, you’ll find a variety of entertainment options including a polka contest, games, rides, food and drinks on the Wurstfest Grounds in Landa Park.
November 4: Diwali San Antonio- Festival of Lights
Diwali is a festive tradition of India that symbolizes the victory of good over evil. Experience this colorful event filled with Indian music, dance, food and more.
November 10-11: Luminaria – Arts Come To Light
Luminaria is San Antonio’s annual celebration of art and artists. Overseen by San Antonio’s creative leaders, it is free of charge and showcases all art forms in an outdoor setting and inside various venues downtown.
November 18 – January 7: Six Flags Fiesta Texas – Holiday in the Park
It’s the most wonderful time of the year as Six Flags Fiesta Texas is transformed into a winter wonderland with thrilling rides, tasty treats and exciting family entertainment for the holiday season. Open select days, check website.
November 18 – Early January: Light the Way at the University of the Incarnate Word
A million twinkling lights illuminate the night sky at the University of the Incarnate Word to celebrate the holiday season in style. This free walking or driving experience is truly a San Antonio-style holiday event.
November 18 – December 31: SeaWorld San Antonio Christmas Celebration
Enjoy stunning live shows in this wintery, watery wonderland. Immerse your family in the spirit of the season, sip hot cocoa as you stroll through a sea of sparkling lights and share laughs with a jolly Santa. Open select days, check website.
November 24: Ford Holiday River Parade and Lighting Ceremony
The day after Thanksgiving, our river parade kicks off the holidays as 28 decorated floats wind through the river in one of the country’s only nighttime river parades. Enjoy the beauty of thousands of lights illuminating the River Walk trees and bridges throughout the holiday season.
November 26 – December 3: Mariachi Vargas Extravaganza
Experience the best of mariachi music during the holiday season with the world renowned Mariachi Vargas de Tecalitlán.
Celebrate with Fantastic 4th of July Eats & Treats
The 4th of July is a fantastic time to celebrate with family and friends with terrific eats and treats! Each of the agents with the Jones Real Estate Group with the Phyllis Browning Company want to share some of our favorite 4th of July recipes with you!
Greg Jones’ go to favorite 4th of July recipe are his Raspberry Chipolte glazed Ribs.
1 Pork back ribs (slab) rubbed with Canola oil
Fiesta Pork Seasoning
Raspberry Chipolte Sauce
Wrap ribs (shiny side in) with heavy duty foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven for two hours. Bring out of the oven, baste with raspberry chipotle sauce, and finish (glaze) on the grill approximately 5 minutes per side
Gary Wolff has fond memories of visiting Colorado during the 4th of July and watching the fireworks show over Dillon Lake. Gary’s all time favorite 4th of July food is a Loaded Hot Dog. Here is a great recipe from A Taste of Home for some Chili Coney Dogs that would be fantastic to try this year.
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Dash cayenne pepper
8 hot dogs
8 hot dog buns, split
Optional toppings: shredded cheddar cheese, relish and chopped onion
In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. Stir in tomato sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, onion and seasonings.
Place hot dogs in a 3-qt. slow cooker; top with beef mixture. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until heated through. Serve on buns with toppings as desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Frank Valadez loves to spend time with family and friends on the 4th of July. His favorite things to eat on that day are a perfectly flamed grilled Hamburger, his wife Jackie’s Homemade Potato Salad and Cold Beer. Food.com has a fantastic recipe for the “Perfect Burger“. Check it out and let us know what you think!
1 teaspoon mustard (regular or Dijon)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, finely grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1 lb medium ground beef
Lightly oil grill& heat BBQ to medium.
Whisk egg in a bowl& add next 6 ingredients.
Add any of the “stir-ins” that appeal to you.
Crumble in beef& using your hands or a fork, gently mix together.
Handle the meat as little as possible – the more you work it, the tougher it gets.
Gently shape (don’t firmly press) mixture into burgers about ¾ inch thick.
Using your thumb, make a shallow depression in the centre of each burger to prevent puffing up during cooking.
Place burgers on the grill, close lid& BBQ until NO LONGER PINK INSIDE, turning once, about 6 – 8 minutes per side.
An instant read thermometer should read 160F.
Don’t abuse your burgers by pressing with a spatula, pricking with a fork or turning frequently as precious juices will be lost!
Tuck into a warm crusty bun& add your favourite toppings.
Julia Arroyo spends time on the 4th of July watching fireworks from the parking lot at Champion High School or the Boerne Fairgrounds. During this time the she enjoys delicious margaritas and appetizers! The Cooking Channel has this great recipe for Frozen Mango Magaritas. It’s a great recipe to try this year for your get togethers!
One 10-ounce bag frozen diced mango
2/3 cup tequila (preferably silver, 80 proof)
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
2 tablespoons superfine sugar
2 cups ice water
Put the mango, tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur, sugar and water in a blender and blend until smooth.
Joslyn Burrows spends her time on the 4th of July with her family at Higgins Lake, Michigan. This has been a family tradition for several years and Joslyn loves roasting a Hot Dog over the campfire and making S’mores with her two lovely daughters.
TheKitchn.com has 12 creative idesas to dress up your S’mores. Some of these great ideas include: The Classic. Graham cracker + dark chocolate + marshmallow.Triple Chocolate. Chocolate graham cracker + dark chocolate + chocolate marshmallow, Salty Caramel Bacon, Fluffernutter, Strawberry Banana, Lemon Meringue, The Elvis and The Grasshopper. To check out these ideas check out this link.
Mike Giddens is our native Lousianian enjoys the 4th of July with family and friends. His favorite foods are Jambalaya, Coonass Potato Salad, Dixie Beer and Leon’s Famous Bloody Mary’s. SpicySouthernKitchen.com has a great recipe for potato salad.
3 pounds red potatoes
1 tablespoon Zatarain’s liquid shrimp and crab boil, optional
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon Zatarain’s Creole seasoning
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup sour cream
1/3 cup Zatarain’s Creole mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
3 green onions, sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
Cut potatoes either in half or quarters, depending on their size.
Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Water level should be an inch above potatoes. Add Zatarain’s crab boil and a few large pinches of salt.
Bring water to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender. Drain potatoes.
Place potatoes in a large bowl and toss with vinegar and Zatarain’s seasoning.
If you want the potato chunks smaller, use a knife and chop them up a little more.
In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, and sugar.
Add mayonnaise mixture to potatoes and stir to combine.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stir in celery, eggs, green onions, and parsley.
Sprinkle more Zatarain’s seasoning on top and chill until ready to serve.
Lastly, our team’s Ann Jones loves everything 4th of July. She loves the parades, the picnics, the food and the fireworks. Anyone that knows her, knows she is a fabulous cook. Her favorite thing to bring to a 4th of July barbeque are her Deviled Eggs. Ann’s recipe is incredibly simple and delicious. Give it a try this holiday to wow your family and friends.
- 12 tbsp Marzetti® Slaw Dressing
- 18 Hard cooked eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Paprika or celery seed
Cut eggs in half lengthwise. Remove yolks and mash them in a small bowl.
Fold in Marzetti® Slaw Dressing, salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon mixture into egg-white halves. Garnish with paprika or celery seed.
From all of us here at the Jones Real Estate Group we hope you will try some of these delicious recipes we have shared with you and remember to enter our fantastic 4th of July Giveaway, which includes a $50 HEB Gift Card. To enter our giveaway contest, click HERE and have a wonderful weekend!
Summertime in Texas can get H-O-T! Thankfully, our good friends at Independence Title have put together an awesome guide for great water destinations throughout Central Texas, Greater San Antonio & The Gulf Coast areas of Texas to help you stay cool this Summer!! Take a minute and check out the guide from Independence Title and start plannins some Summer water fun TODAY!
From the desk of Greg Jones…
On this Memorial Day 2017 I remember friends, family, and complete strangers who have given their lives so that all of us can live in this wonderful country in peace and freedom. Additionally I am very grateful for all the men and women of our armed services who are serving in various theaters around the world on guard for us.
“All Gave Some, and Some Gave All”
DID YOU KNOW…
- Memorial Day is an American holiday observed on the last Monday of May.
- This holiday honors men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military.
- Originally known as Decoration Day, it originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official federal holiday in 1971.
- Many Americans observe Memorial Day by visiting cemeteries or memorials, holding family gatherings and participating in parades.
- It unofficially marks the beginning of summer.
For the Love of a Stranger
by Holly Rodriguez
I am a soldier, a mother, a daughter, a lover and wife,
Before I became a defender I had a full life.
I‘m a brother, a soldier, a father, an uncle and man,
I‘ve seen terrors of war that you can’t begin to comprehend.
Preserving freedom and the rights of people in our great land,
Against those who bring us destruction and can’t understand
A soldier’s deep love of our country and courage to fight,
For America’s people so they can sleep in peace at night.
Remember that the right for you and me to remain free
Comes from sacrifices of brave people you may never meet.
From all of us at Jones Real Estate Group, we hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend and take time to reflect on the many wonderful blessings we enjoy in the great country.
Spring in Texas is here! Beautiful wildflowers seem to be blooming everywhere and the temperatures seem just right-not too hot or too cold. Those conditions make this the perfect time of the year to head out and go golfing!
San Antonio is home to some of the best golf courses in Texas! Below is a list of the 10 Best Golf Courses in San Antonio, from GolfAdvisor.com. Take a look at these awesome courses and if you are golf entusiast or have a golf enthusiast in the home think about scheduling a tee time at any one of these course to enjoy this beautiful Spring we are having.
Additionally, San Antonio has the opportunity to host the Texas Valero open at TPC San Antonio on April 17-23, 2017. The Jones Real Estate Group is happy to lend our to support to the Birdies for Charity program that J-Jireh Ministries and Jackie Browning are apart of. For more information about this charity and ways to contribute, visit www.valerotexasopen.com/birdies/
The Jones Real Estate Group’s resident golf expert, Gary Wolff has provided some great tips and feedback about the courses listed below. For those of you who don’t know Gary Wolff, he was one of the founding members of the Fair Oaks Country Club and has 5 Hole in Ones to his name!! He is a very skilled and knowledgeable golfer and his expertise about these courses is amazing.
SAN ANTONIO’S 10 BEST GOLF COURSES
The Palmer Course at La Cantera
San Antonio, Texas, USA
The Quarry Golf Club
San Antonio, Texas, USA
River Crossing Golf Club
Spring Branch, Texas, USA
Gary’s Advice: Another beautiful Hill Country course. This course has a gorgeous view of Twin Sisters and is available for public or private membership golf.
The Resort Course at La Cantera
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Gary’s Advice: Gary really enjoys this course and you get a clear perspective of where you are shooting.
Hyatt Hill Country Golf Club
San Antonio, Texas, USA
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Gary’s Advice: This is one of Gary’s favorite courses in San Antonio. He loves that it was designed by Tillenghast. It is very picturesque and a fantastic course to golf. This is a public course and very, very affordable.
Canyon Springs Golf Club
San Antonio, Texas, USA
Gary’s Advice: This is another course with amazing Hill Country views. It has a great clubhouse and the course is very nice.
Alsatian Golf Club
Castroville, Texas, USA
Gary’s Advice: This course is located out in Castroville. A nice course with with a nice new clubhouse and pretty greens.
Windcrest Golf Club
Windcrest, Texas, USA
Gary’s Advice: This course is toted as the “friendliest golf course in San Antonio”. This course is very, very, affordable. Most days you can golf 18 Holes for $18. For any golfer that is a steal!
The Jones Real Estate Group’s BEST Tips to Get Your Home Ready to Sell this Year!
Are you thinking about selling your home this year? The Jones Real Estate Group has teamed up to give you their BEST tips in four major areas to help sell your home quick and get you the most equity from the sale of your home. Take a minute and review how these simple changes can help make the sale of your home a quick and easy reality.
First impressions matter!! The exterior of your home gives potential buyers the first impression and you want it to be looking its very best!!
- FRONT DOOR– Enhance front door entry by adding a nice clean wreath or potted flowers. A great Feng Shui idea is putting a pot of red flowers at the front entry. Keep the front entry swept and free of leaves and debris.
- LIGHTING-Clean your light fixtures or even make modern upgrades.
- PAINT– If the front door needs to be repainted, do it! This is where the buyers are waiting while the Realtor is unlocking the door. Also, if the exterior paint has started chipping off and fading away, you may want to think about repainting the exterior.
- FRONT YARD– Mulch all beds, replace dead or scraggly looking bushes. Trim trees and branches that overhang the roof. Add a pop of color with annuals if it is spring/summer. Keep grass mowed and blow all leaves when needed. During the holidays, keep your decorating to a minimum. Too many decorations or yard art detracts. Follow an easy rule- SIMPLIFY!! Try to keep the outdoor children’s toys in one area…like inside the garage.
- BACK YARD– The back yard or back patio can be another living space here in San Antonio. Highlight the covered patio and make it look like another sitting area. If you are lucky enough to have an outdoor kitchen, make it sparkle!
De-Clutter & De-Personalize
When you own a home, it is easy to accumulate more stuff than you intend to. Selling a cluttered home is hard due to the fact that many people do not have the necessary vision to see beyond it. Appearance is critical in real estate sales. Your family photos are beautiful and your kids’ drawings on the fridge are adorable, buyers want to be able to picture themselves in the house. That means putting away your photos, clearing your closets from unnecessary clutter, and using matching hangers to give your closet more visual impact. There are many solutions and things you can do to make your home look its best and sell more reliably.
- KITCHEN– The kitchen is the first place to start! The kitchen always seems to have lots and lots of little items that seem to grow and collect there. Clear counters and only keep what is necessary on the counter. Store small electrical appliances. Clean out your pantry as well as cabinet drawers. Keep floors swept and mopped. Make sure the trash/recycling bin are emptied everyday! Keep the kitchen sink totally clean-absolutely no dirty dishes ever! And don’t forget the refrigerator, clean it out and let it sparkle- even if you plan on taking the fridge. It is best to have it clean and odor free. A quick tip to help with odors is to cut a bit of lemon and run it through your disposal. This creates a clean, attractive citrus smell in your kitchen. Don’t be a heavy handed with scented potpourri or candles. Some buyers may feel you are covering up bad odors. Keep your scents fresh with fresh flowers or baking cookies.
- BATHROOMS– Bathrooms, same as with kitchen. Clean off the counters, no mineral spots on any of the glass, and keep fresh towels hanging on the towel racks.
- LIVING ROOM– Living room, family room, bedrooms, keep it simple. You can add personality with color of pillows or accessories but keep it to a minimum. Tone down the family photos that are everywhere. If you have a gallery as a focal point on a wall and it is professionally done, go ahead and leave it. But only if it enhances the area.
4. CLOSETS– Clean and neat closets with no dirty clothes strewn across the carpet or in the closets. Keep the clothes neatly folded or hung neatly on the closet rods. Have a clothes hamper ready in each bedroom closet so all family members know that is where the dirty clothes are deposited.
Keeping a neutral color scheme can help your buyers envision themselves in your home.
- NEUTRAL SPACES– Neutralize you color scheme on the walls in every room. Sometimes this is hard to do, but try and make the main rooms as neutral as possible. You want the buyers to “picture” their items in the house. Remove excess furniture and make your rooms look larger. You may want to add lighting and emphasize the natural light your home gets. Using a mirror and subtle lamps can help with this as well. When using curtains keep them neutral or choose ones with subtle designs. Using sheer curtains lets more light into a room and that can help your home look more appealing. Set the rods as high as possible and use thin rods to maximize the space.
No one wants to move into a dirty home, so clean your home to make it much more appealing to prospective buyers
- ODORS– Not all buyers like pets. Please make sure pets are secured and their water/eating bowls are removed when you are expecting showings. Have an objective neighbor or family member come in the house to see if they can “smell” that you have pets. There is nothing more of a turn off for potential buyers as pet odors. Especially cat litter boxes and/or pet stains on carpets.
- CARPET– Have the carpet cleaned professionally as well as the windows. Too many times home owners don’t clean their windows and carpets until they are ready to sell and this little thing makes your house so much more inviting that you should really start this as a yearly habit!
- COUNTERTOPS-Clear your countertops to make the space look larger, and enhance the open feel.
- SHOWERS– Bathrooms and kitchens are the two essential areas of the home, and they can make or break a deal. Clean dirty shower doors with a solution of one part muriatic acid and ten parts water.
From all of us here at the Jones Real Estate Group, we want you to be successful in selling your home this year. Our team has the experience and expertise to make your home selling goal a reality. We look forward to the opportunity to meet with you or your family and friends to discuss how together we can accomplish this goal in 2017!